When I visited Letterpress Things a few weeks ago, I stumbled on two point sizes (24 & 36) of Rockwell all fonted up. The entire trip was pretty exciting but Rockwell is currently a driving force with my overall identity as it became my typeface of choice for my business cards, resume and portfolio so I’m pretty happy to have found this set. The biggest bonus about this is that I shouldn’t have to change a thing about my cards when I’m ready to letterpress a batch of them and I should be able to set up an identity package for a letterhead, invoice, and maybe even envelopes too.
THIS BOOK LOOKS GOOD
Breaking In gathers portfolio-building advice from over 100 of the top people in advertising.
You can read excerpts here: http://breakinginbook.com/david-droga/
Thanks to my friend and colleague Anthony Kalamut for letting me know about the book and the site (http://anthonykalamut.blogspot.com/).
In preparation for Friday’s interview in Boston, I finally put together my portfolio update that I have had all set to go for about a month now.
Previously, I had gone through a Blurb version that was perfect bound and a DIY version that was spiral bound. Besides the fact that I wasn’t all that happy with the content or the final design of these books, I wasn’t able to update them. This was the main thing that I kept in mind this time around.
I chose to go with a post and screw so that pieces could be added or removed according to the people I’m meeting with and in the future I’ll be able to add new projects after I have completed them. After deciding to design my new book this way, I realized that I also didn’t want facing pages to have different projects on them - this could create issues with the way certain spreads went together. To address this, I gave each project it’s own gate-fold 11x17 sheet. Each project has a 8.5x11 cover, a 11x17 inside spread, and a (nearly) blank back cover. The cover image wraps onto the back cover of each just enough to avoid the potential issue of the fold and image not aligning perfectly but also leaves enough open space to allow any two projects to follow each-other without negatively affecting the layout.
Besides the project sheets, I added a business card sleeve to the front page, I left that first page with a blank inside spread so that I can use it as a folder for extra resumes, I added a cd sleeve to the Reservoir Dogs motion graphics project spread so that I can include the final product, and the pocket on the inside back cover allows me to bring a couple samples with me to interviews.
Granted, there are a few issues here and there that I will address for the next iteration of my portfolio but I have definitely learned from experience and I can’t believe the difference between this book and the one I put together for my portfolio class in 2009. Overall, I am very pleased with the result.
Let me know what you think and check out the rest of my work here!