1 in 2 men, and 1 in 3 women, will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.
We’re nearing the end of Movember 2012 and I’ve come to the realization that I bit off a bit more than I could chew this year. After raising $1,000.00 for two straight years, I did the math and decided that - although quite a leap - $5,000.00 was realistic. I still believe it would have been if I had the same time to dedicate to my efforts online. With your help, I’m confident that I can still reach the $1,000.00 mark for the third year in a row.
In trying to determine why I haven’t received the same support this year, I keep coming back to the fact that I haven’t provided the same education for my peers as I have in years past. So, without further ado…
Why should you donate?
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime.
- In 2012, 242,000 new cases of the disease will be diagnosed and more than 28,000 men will die of prostate cancer.
- 1 in every 13 men will develop lung cancer.
- While not as common, men can get breast cancer. About 2,140 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed among men and about 450 men will die from the disease in 2012.
- More than 3.5 million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year in the US.
Since its humble beginnings in Melbourne, Australia, Movember has grown to become a truly global movement inspiring more than 1.9 Million Mo Bros and Mo Sistas to participate with formal campaigns in Australia, New Zealand, the US, Canada, the UK, South Africa, Ireland, Finland, the Netherlands, Spain, Denmark, Norway, Belgium and the Czech Republic. In addition, Movember is aware of Mo Bros and Mo Sistas supporting the campaign and men’s health cause across the globe, from Russia to Dubai, Hong Kong to Antarctica, Rio de Janeiro to Mumbai, and everywhere in between.
No matter the country or city, Movember will continue to work to change established habits and attitudes men have about their health, to educate men about the health risks they face, and to act on that knowledge, thereby increasing the chances of early detection, diagnosis and effective treatment.
In 2011, over 854,000 Mo Bros and Mo Sistas around the world got on board, raising $126.3 million USD.
Lastly, maybe you’re wondering what I’m doing for Movember. Maybe your question isn’t why you should donate, but why you should donate to me.
Why should I donate to George’s Movember account?
- Consistent Dedication - Like I said, I’ve raised $1,000.00+ for two straight years. Help me keep that streak alive!
- The Fighting Irish Moustache - Last year I mailed out letterpressed postcards to each donor as a thank-you. This year I will be letterpress printing postcards for each person to donate $5 or more and posters for each person to donate $25 or more. Anyone who donates $50 or more will receive both and the person to donate the most will receive another of my prints. It’s a win-win! You help the cause, you feel good, and you get prints!
- This isn’t a joke or a goof - When I mention Movember the common response is to begin talking about “No-Shave-November” or “Novembeard.” Movember isn’t simply about sporting some facial fur for a month. It is lighthearted and meant to be fun but there is a cause behind it. I take that cause seriously because it is close to my heart. I have watched multiple members of my own family as well as the families of close friends battle various cancers. Few recover completely. As I am unable to donate any large amount of my own, this is the effort I can make.In support of Movember, I’ll also be competing in my first beard and moustache competition this weekend.
Hopefully you have made it this far and a quick bit of reading has caused you to at least consider donating to my Movember efforts. To reach the $1,000.00 point again it would take 25 donations of $25, 63 donations of $10 or 126 donations of $5 but please remember every single dollar really does help! If you can’t donate but wish you could, or have already donated and want to continue helping - please pass this along! And most importantly: If we haven’t met in person please do not let that keep you from donating.
Get some Movember goodies here
Educate yourself here
Let’s play a little #Movember game. The rules are simple: don’t like, comment on, or share this post until you have contributed to the #Movember2012 efforts or have convinced a friend to donate. Every dollar counts, y’all! mobro.co/gdgraves hit it!
#mobro #moustache #mustache #beard #fundraiser #menshealth #prostatecancerfoundation #livestrong
If you enjoy my photos of the shop and/or a good bit of facial fur, please support the pursuit of the health that makes those things possible. Donate today at mobro.co/gdgraves. A 5-10 dollar donation from each of you would easily get me to my goal but even $1 helps! #movember #movember2012 #mobro #menshealth #livestrong #prostatecancerfoundation #letterpress #frontexautomatic #cylinderpress #moustache #mustache #mustachebottleopener
In both 2010 and 2011 I raised more than $1000 for #Movember. In 2011 the #FightingIrishMoustache made its first (official) appearance and anyone who donated $20 or more received a letterpressed postcard.
This year I want to go bigger. With 400+ followers on #Instagram, 300+ on #Twitter and 700+ “friends” on #Facebook, if each of you were to donate an average of $10 I could easily hit the $5000 mark.
I know that’s a stretch but if you’re willing to donate and to help spread the word it’s entirely doable. Each person to donate $20 or more will receive a postcard again. $50 will earn you a letterpressed print and $75 will get you both.
With a solid 3 months already invested in my #beard, I have decided to participate in reverse this year. If you help me raise $5000, I will shave down to a #moustache for the entire month of December.
Thanks for reading!
Oh hey #Movember. Almost didn’t see you there.
I still need to register for 2012 but due to attending the national beard and mustache championship on the 11th I’m participating in reverse. If I raise a yet to be decided dollar amount, I will start 2013 with 5 months worth if mustache. Prepare for your feed to be flooded with facial fur fotos next month!